OLYMPUS, TENNESSEE
PICKETT AREA’S FIRST POST OFFICE


Researched and compiled by Richard W. Pierce

Do not go look on present day maps for Olympus, TN. Its existence is now only history. If you look on present day maps you may find Olympus Drive but not Olympus, TN.

Olympus, TN was the first post office established in present day Pickett County, TN. Olympus was first established as a post office in Overton County, Tennessee, 7 June 1834 with Buckner Gill as Postmaster. Thomas Jouett and James Gunnels became affiliated with Olympus Post Office 16 August 1834. Their positions are unclear from available records. Wm. Chilton was appointed postmaster 14 February 1835. H. Hatch and James Amonett became affiliated with the Olympus Post Office 19 March 1835 and Thomas Jouett and B. Gill became affiliated 21 April 1837, as with Thomas Jouett and James Gunnels it is also unclear as just what position they held. The Olympus Post Office was discontinued 26 October 1838.

Olympus, TN was re-established as a post office 2 December 1843 with William Chilton as Postmaster. Abraham Grimsley was appointed Postmaster 9 December 1845 and served until the Olympus Post Office was discontinued 10 April 1851.

Olympus, TN was re-established as a post office 20 May 1851 with Abram Grimsley as Postmaster. Olympus, TN Post Office was again discontinued 2 March 1852.
About two months later 26 April 1852 the Olympus Post Office was re-established with Abram Grimsley as Postmaster. Samual A. Higgenbatham was appointed Postmaster 22 August 1866 and served until the appointment of Jonathan A. Sewell, 14 January 1870. Wm. R. Grimsley was appointed Postmaster 20 March 1873. It was while W.R. Grimsley was postmaster that the first topography report was sent in to Washington, DC. Olympus, TN Post Office was then located in the 13th Civil District of Overton County, TN 3 miles NE of Obey River, 4 miles S of Wolf River; Huntersville, KY was 7 miles (by road) NE of Olympus; Monroe, TN was 12 miles SW of Olympus; Mouth of Wolf, TN was 10 miles W of Olympus and Travisville was 12 miles E of Olympus. This is the first known location of the Olympus Post Office. It is possible that this location was somewhere around the Old Grimsley Cemetery. It seems reasonable to suspect that the Grimsley’s had the post office located near their home because in future topographic reports several new Postmasters would request a change of location. Alvin R. Ryan was appointed postmaster at Olympus, TN 6 July 1881 and served until Olympus was discontinued 24 July 1883. Mail was to then go to the Byrdstown, TN Post Office which was established 15 August 1882 following Byrdstown, TN becoming the county seat of the newly created Pickett County, TN.

Olympus, TN Post Office was re-established for the fifth time 28 August 1884 with John G. Sims as Postmaster. When Mr. Sims sent in the topographic report, he gave the following location for Olympus, TN. Olympus was 3 miles N of Eagle Creek, TN Post Office and 6 miles SW of Byrdstown, TN Post Office and two and one half miles SE of the Hull, TN Post Office. This location was on the North side of Obeds River just across from the Mouth of Eagle Creek. This site would now be under water of Dale Hollow Lake. George O. Knight was appointed postmaster at Olympus 6 February 1896 and served until appointment of George D. Crawford 30 December 1898. Joel G. Parris was appointed Postmaster 1 June 1900 and requested the site of the Olympus Post Office be moved _ mile NE of present site. This site was further identified as being 5 _ miles S of Otto, TN, 5 _ miles N of Eagle Creek, TN Post Office and 3 3/8 miles E of Hull, TN. Olympus was located 1 _ miles N of Obeds River and 2 miles NW of Eagle Creek. The Olympus, TN Post Office was to serve 200 people. 12 December 1902 John H. Martin was appointed Postmaster and he requested the site be moved 2 miles W of present site with Eagle Creek, TN Post Office 4 miles to the S, Hull, TN 3 miles to the NW. The new site was _ mile N of Obey River and 2 _ miles N of Eagle Creek.

Olympus, TN Post Office was discontinued not to be re-established 15 October 1907 all mail was rerouted to Hull, TN Post Office. The Olympus, TN Post Office should not be confused with Otto, TN Post Office. Olympus and Otto were separate Post Offices being in existence at the same time. Otto, TN Post Office established 1886 and was discontinued in 1906.
Source: Records from National Archives, Washington, DC